UV-C is the germicidal wavelength released by the sun, with wavelengths between 200-280 nanometres. Wavelengths within this range have been used to help fight bacteria and viruses for over 100 years.
With scientific research done in the early 1900s scientists developed ways to use the light within the UV-C wavelength to help fight tuberculosis. Within a few years it was used to disinfect drinking water. Years later hospitals integrated overhead systems to disinfect surfaces and to purify the air.
When the UV-C light is shined on bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, it deactivates their DNA as well as destroying their ability to multiply and ultimately killing them.
The Effectiveness of UV-C disinfection can vary based on a few factors, including the length of exposure to bacteria, intensity of the radiation and a microorganism’s resistance to the radiation that is delivered by the light. Length of exposure is based on the size of the area or surface that you wish to disinfect. Larger areas require more radiation and longer exposure times to ensure all objects and surfaces are hit with the light.
The best method to face some of these variables is delivering multiple passes of light exposure. Exposing the subject, you would like to sanitize multiple times will ensure that the bacteria with a bit more resistance will also have their DNA deactivated.
It is critical to ensure the object or surface that requires disinfecting is exposed to direct light from the UV-C fixture or bulb in order to disinfect properly. Anything blocking the light, including shadows will lessen the intensity of the light.
UC-V light should always be handled with care. prolonged direct exposure can be harmful to skin and eyes. Wearing proper protective eye wear and clothing that does not expose any skin is highly recommended to ensure the safety of the operator.